- Each bridge lift takes an average of 8-12 minutes.
- While the bridge is in the upright position, traffic is halted.
- Drivers may use alternate streets or wait until the bridge is lowered.
- A total of 27 bridges will be lifted in succession from Lake Shore Drive on the Main Branch to Ashland Avenue on the South Branch.
- If no boat owners make arrangements to move their boats on a scheduled day, the bridges will not be lifted.
- Source: Chicago Department of Transportation
Photo by Patricia Armell